Thursday, September 8, 2016

Book Review: Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George

Title: Wednesdays in the Tower
Author: Jessica Day George
Series: Castle Glower #2
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Publication Date: May 1, 2013
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy
Length: 240 pages
Format: hardcover
Source: borrowed


Synopsis:
Strange things are afoot in Castle Glower: new rooms, corridors, and even stables keep arriving, even when they aren't needed. Celie's brother Bran, the new Royal Wizard has his hands full cataloguing an entire storeroom full of exotic and highly dangerous weapons, while Celie has her hands full... raising the creature that hatches from a giant egg she finds! Will they be able to find out what's making the Castle behave this way in time? 

My Thoughts: 
Celie is on her way to the schoolroom when she stumbles upon a new tower in the castle. Inside is a very large and hot egg. The tower isn't the only new addition to Castle Glower. There are lots of new rooms and a few old ones, too. Usually the castle only 'grows' new rooms that have a purpose, but now they seem to be scrambled. Celie and her wizard brother, Bran, try to figure out what is going on with the castle while raising the creature that has hatched from the egg, but the more the castle grows, the less they know what's going on.

In this return to Castle Glower, we learn more about the magical castle and it's past while Celie raises the mythical creature that the castle has given her in secret. Of course, there is mischief afoot and Celie and her siblings must find out what is threatening the castle. 

I really enjoyed Tuesdays at the Castle and I enjoyed this sequel just as much or more. This is such a cute and delightful middle-grade fantasy with great characters and a pretty awesome setting.

The only thing I didn't really like about this book was the major cliffhanger ending. I felt like I was in the thick of it all and then there just wasn't any more to read! Thankfully, I have the sequel and will pick right up where it left off as soon as I can!


My Rating: 4.5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one too, this is a great MG series. I had the same problem too with the ending- that cliffhanger left me like WHAT?? lol but otherwise this was a nice read. Cool creature too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the first one a bit better. I was reading them as they came out. After the cliffhanger, I decided to wait until they were all out before continuing.

    ReplyDelete