Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #71 - 10 Books I Loved but Don't Talk About Much


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Ten Books I Loved But Haven't Talked About Much

{Covers link to Goodreads}



1. Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty - This middle-grade novel is about a girl who secretly lives in the basement of the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. It's kind of spooky and I loved it! 
2. The Whispering Mountain by Joan Aiken - This is the prequel to the 'Wolves of Willoughby Chase' series and is the only book in the series that I've read so far but I really enjoyed it. Fantasy Adventure.
3. The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens - This is the first book in the middle grade trilogy, "The Books of Beginning". It's full of magic, time-travel, and mythical creatures and is pretty amazing. 


4. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen - This is a super cute love/hate story about two young people. There's a movie adaptation!
5. The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera - A beautiful story about a girl who defies her tribe and proves that she can lead them and speak to whales despite that she isn't a male. There's an adaptation for this too! 
6. Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies - If you like anthropomorphic stories (talking animals) I recommend this! 


7. Gwenhwyfar by Mercedes Lackey - This is basically a retelling of King Arthur's Guinevere. Instead of just being his wife, she's a tough badass girl who joins in the battle and kicks ass.
8. The Charmed Sphere by Catherine Asaro - A fantasy filled with a unique shape-driven magic, love, and battles!
9. Winter Rose by Patricia A. McKillip - Another fantasy romance. I usually talk about this author more than any specific book of hers because I love her writing more than the stories and have read most of her books.


10. Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt - Historical fiction story about the 1600's witch-hunts. I couldn't choose between this, Susannah Morrow, or The Third Witch which are all historical fiction 'witch' stories that I loved. 

11 comments:

  1. I've seen a few McKillip books on these lists. I've never read her books before but now I'm curious about her.
    Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a few years since I've read any of her books but I remember enjoying them very much even though I can't exactly remember anything about any of them!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading Flipped in high school. Very fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipped is so adorable and I completely forgot about how much i loved it and all it's cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice picks for this week! I haven't read any of the books on your list... I'll have to expand my reading horizons!!

    Here's a link to my TTT for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/03/ten-books-i-really-love-but-feel-like-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added some great new books to my tbr thanks to today's TTT! :)

      Delete
  5. Now you've got me excited to read historical stories about witches! The cover of Witching Hill looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit obsessed and read a bunch a few years back! I love historical fiction but I haven't read any lately. I need to remedy that! :)

      Delete
  6. I've been wanting to read Serafina and the Black Coat since first hearing about it, but have yet to pick it up--maybe this will help me make the plunge!

    Great collection; there are some great covers up there! Here's hoping your future reads are just as great; happy book-ing!

    Also, here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete